ALL COMPETITIONS OPEN TO ALL RESIDENTS OF COLORADO!
2014 COMPETITIONS ARE LISTED BELOW!
Enter online now!
We're FAMOUS for our non-traditional County Fair competition categories! Read through the list, and you're bound to see a few you want to go for! We also have several of the classic categories too! Pickles, pies, knitting, sewing and more! It's all about sharing your genius - and showing ourselves how creative Denverites are! Healthy, competitive fun! Catch Blue Ribbon Fever!
We invite ALL Colorado Residents to enter the 2014 Competitions listed in the guidelines. Competitions are open to individuals 12 years old and above. We also have a JUNIOR competition section in most categories - for kids to enter! Denver 4H is also hosting several Youth Competitions this year!
HOW TO ENTER:
Competition Information & General Rules
Enter online at https://21stcenturyfairs.com/DenverCountyFair/prestashop/.
Guidelines: Please carefully review our 2013 Denver County Fair Competition Guidelines as some have changed for this year. Read the general information and rules here as well as the specific criteria by class under each Pavilion section.
Entries: Entries must have been created within one calendar year prior to this year’s fair, by a resident of Colorado. (There is an exception for wine and mead - details in the Kitchen Pavilion section.)
Fair Location: The Denver County Fair is held at the National Western Complex, 4655 Humboldt Street, Denver, CO 80216. The National Western Complex is located just east of I-25 on I-70 and is easily accessible by taking the Brighton Blvd. or Denver Coliseum exits. The National Western Complex is also accessible by RTD Bus #48.
Competition Classes: Details of each competition class are listed under each respective Pavilion. Classes may be combined or divided at the discretion of the Competition Director or judges. Want to compete but don’t see a class that fits your entry? Encourage your friends and friendly rivals to join you! If we have enough entries for a new, unique class we’ll create one! E-mail email@example.com for more information.
Responsibility: The Denver County Fair, LLC and their staff will use reasonable diligence to insure the safety of all entries after their arrival and placement but in no case will they be responsible for any loss or damage done to any articles on exhibition. The exhibitors shall indemnify Denver County Fair, LLC and their staff of all legal or other proceedings in regard thereto. Entries on the show grounds by any and all exhibitors shall signify his/her agreement to abide by and agree to this rule.
Friday, July 25 - 12:00 midnight – Deadline for online entries. Enter at https://21stcenturyfairs.com/DenverCountyFair/prestashop/
Monday, July 28 – Competition categories available for walk-in entries announced at www.denvercountyfair.org
Wednesday, July 30, 3:00 – 7:00 pm – Competition Check-In, most categories, and ALL Art Pavilion entries and Walk-In entries.
Thursday, July 31, 8:00 – 11:00 am – Competition Check-in, most categories and ALL Bread and items requiring refrigeration.
Thursday, July 31, 4:00 – 7:00 pm – Competition Check-in and vet checks for ALL Animal entries. (Pets may be taken home nightly.)
Friday, August 1, 5:00-8:00pm – Art Pavilion wine and cheese reception for art entrants and public.
Saturday, August 2 – Notification via email to Blue Ribbon Winners.
Sunday, August 3, 5:00 pm – Awards Ceremony for Blue Ribbon Winners.
Sunday, August 3, 6:00 – 8:00 pm – Pick up your entries at the fairgrounds.
- Entries must be entered via our new 21st Century Fairs online registration system. If you cannot enter online, please send an email for support: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Deadline for online entries is Friday, July 25 at midnight.
- Online Entry Fees are $5 per entry, or enter five or more items to get an automatic $5 discount in the system.
- The online system will send you a confirmation email for your competition entries listed and an invoice marked “paid.”
- Entry fees are non-refundable. No refunds will be provided for not showing.
- Entries entered erroneously in incorrect classes may be transferred to the correct class at the discretion of the Fair staff.
- Online entries receive one FREE weekend pass per entrant.
Walk-in Registration: We will be accepting walk-in entries for classes that have received entries on the Wednesday before the fair. Check the website 2 days prior to see if your class is eligible for walk-in registration. Walk-in entries will ONLY be accepted that Wednesday, from 3–7pm. The walk-in entry fee is $7.00 for each entry, no discounts.
- When you enter and pay through the online competition entry system, your class entry tags will be ready upon arrival to attach and submit your entries for the fair. Please bring a printed copy of your receipt with you to check-in and at check-out. Take your entries to the appropriate Pavilion and check-in with the Pavilion Competition Manager. You will receive your exhibitor information there.
- Drop off times are Wednesday, 3 - 7pm and Thursday, 8 - 11am. Exceptions are as follows:
- All Art entries must check in on Wednesday, 3 – 7pm. This allows us enough time to build the Fair Gallery.
- All Bread entries must check-in on Thursday, 8 – 11am in order to maintain freshness.
- All Kitchen Entries requiring refrigeration must check-in on Thursday, 8 – 11am.
- All Animal entries must check-in on Thursday, August 8th, from 4 – 7pm for vet checks. Entry of animals dropped outside of this designated time is at the discretion of the Pavilion supervisor. NEW: Animals may be taken home each night, provided they are returned to the fair one hour prior to opening the following day.
Judging: Judging is a blind process in which your exhibitor number is the only identification. Most classes are judged before the fair opens, but some classes will be judged during fair hours and open to the public. If judging is during fair hours, you are welcome to observe and listen to the judges’ comments. However, no discussion is allowed between exhibitors and judges.
Ribbons & Cash Prizes:
First Place Blue Ribbon will receive a $20 cash award in each competition class with more than five entries. Competition classes with less than five entries will not have a cash prize for 1st place. Second Place Red Ribbons and Third Place White Ribbons will be awarded with no cash prize. All ribbons will be displayed alongside the entry for the public to see. A First Place Blue Ribbon is not guaranteed in every class. If the judges conclude the top entry is not worthy of a blue ribbon, a Red Ribbon will be the top award. Each entry will be judged on its own merit using the judging guidelines.
- Winners will be contacted when judging is completed and will be invited to participate in the Awards Ceremony. The Awards Ceremony will be held at the Gazebo Stage at 3pm on Sunday.
- In each Pavilion, we will also be awarding Green Ribbons with $20 in County Fair Cash good at the Denver County Fair Store for outstanding entries using sustainable methods, i.e., local ingredients, etc. If you would like to be included in this competition, please include a description of what makes your entry “green”.
- A Pavilion Grand Champion prize will be awarded to the exhibitor that wins the most ribbons in each Pavilion, provided that the exhibitor wins at least five ribbons and one is a blue ribbon. The cash prize for the Grand Champion is $100.
Release of Entries: Please return to the Fair to pick up your exhibits on Sunday, the last day of the fair, 6 – 8pm. Exhibits not picked up will be discarded Sunday at 8:00pm. Because we want to showcase all our exhibits and exhibitors for the duration of the fair, we do not allow removal of entries prior to 6pm on Sunday. Removal of any entry before the designated time will result in forfeiture of award money and ribbon. If necessary, perishable items may be discarded before the end of the fair to maintain sanitary conditions.
ENTER ONLINE NOW TO SAVE MONEY!
- Entry Fees are $5, 5 entries for $20
20% of all competition entry fees are going to local charities!
2014 Competitions Categories!
|Animal Pavilion||Kitchen & Food Entries|
|Birds - Chickens, Backyard||Pie - Fruit, Apple|
|Birds - Chickens, Professional||Pie - Fruit, Cherry|
|Backyard Chicken Coop||Pie - Fruit, Other|
|Birds - Waterfowl||Pie - Other|
|Birds - Other||Bread|
|Goats||Cupcake or Muffin|
|Rabbits||Cake or Cheesecake|
|Small Rodents||Chocolate & Candy|
|Junior||Pastry and Cookies|
|Baked Goods - Specialty|
|Arts Pavilion||Cake Decorating|
|Painting - Traditional/Representational||Jam|
|Painting - Contemporary||Jelly|
|Painting – Other||Preserves|
|Works on Paper||Green Chili/Salsa|
|Photography - Nature/Landscape||Pickled Vegetable - Cucumber|
|Photography - Animals||Pickled Vegetable - Other|
|Photography - Travel||Cheese|
|Photography - Editorial/Narrative||Molded Gelatin Dessert|
|Photography – Other||Honey and/or Honeycomb|
|Artist Trading Cards – Single Card Image||Cured & Smoked Meats|
|Artist Trading Cards – Multi- Card Image||Junior|
|Digital Art||Liquid Libations|
|Poetry - I Heart Denver Theme||Homebrew Beer - Light Lager|
|Junior||Homebrew Beer - Pilsner|
|Homebrew Beer - European Amber Lager|
|Homebrew Beer - Dark Lager|
|Geek Pavilion||Homebrew Beer - Bocks, Doppelbock/Eisbock/Bock/Weizenbock|
|Homemade Robot||Homebrew Beer - Light or Amber Hybrid|
|Geek Art||Homebrew Beer - Scottish and Irish Ale|
|Space & Sci-Fi Model Building||Homebrew Beer - Pale Ale, American/English|
|Junior||Homebrew Beer - English Brown Ale|
|Homebrew Beer - Porter|
|Holistic Pavilion||Homebrew Beer - Stout|
|Lotions and Soaps||Homebrew Beer - India Pale Ale|
|Homeopathic Remedies and Therapies||Homebrew Beer - German Wheat and Rye|
|Divination and Wrapped Crystals||Homebrew Beer - Belgian and French Ale|
|Homebrew Beer - Sour Ale|
|Farm & Garden Pavilion||Homebrew Beer - Belgian Strong Ale|
|Vegetable, Leaf or Root||Homebrew Beer - Strong Ale|
|Vegetable, Vine Growing||Homebrew Beer - Fruit Beer|
|Vegetable, Peppers||Homebrew Beer - Spice/Herb/Vegetable|
|Vegetable, Other||Homebrew Beer - Smoke-flavored & Wood-aged|
|Tomato||Homebrew Beer - Specialty Beer|
|Fruit||Homebrew Beer - Traditional Mead|
|Culinary Herb||Homebrew Beer - Fruit or Other Mead|
|Novelty House Plant or Produce||Homebrew Beer - Standard Cider and Perry|
|Small Container Garden||Homebrew Beer - Specialty Cider and Perry|
|Cut Flower||Wine - Red|
|Compost||Wine - White|
|Native Plant or Xeriscape Backyard Transformation||Wine - Apéritif, Dessert and Other|
|Craft Pavilion||Pot Pavilion|
|Sewing||Best Marijuana Plant – Homegrown|
|Needleworks||Best Marijuana Plant – Commercial|
|Knitting||Most Unique Hybrid Plant|
|Spinning and Weaving||Best Brownie Infused Recipe|
|Scrapbooking||Best Sweet Confection Infused Recipe (non-Brownie)|
|Repurposed/Recycled Materials||Best Savory Infused Recipe|
|Peeps Diorama||Best Novelty Edible Recipe|
|Toys||Best Gluten-Free Infused Recipe|
|Other Craft Items||Best Hemp Fabric|
|Junior – Rubber Band Loom Creation||Best Hemp Garment|
|Junior||Best Homemade Bong|
|Best Homemade Roach Clip|
|History Pavilion||Best Tie-Dye|
|Denver Antique||Best Pot Pin Collection|
|Family Tree Presentation||Best Pot Pin Original Design|
|Fashion Pavilion||Sports Pavilion|
|Clothing Design||Best Homemade Sports Fan Attire|
|Jewelry Design||Best Denver Sports Fan Tattoo|
|Junior||Most Over-the-top Fan Creation|